It’s no secret that we are big fans of the rms beauty range. Not a day goes by without us wearing at least one of her organic make up products. So it is with great excitement that the rms beauty oil arrived in store this week. Not only does it smell incredible but the combination of herbal extracts with organic oils is one that’s sure to win over many fans. We chatted to Rose-Marie Swift about the ingredients she decided to use and why.
Facial oils are becoming popular with Rosehip Oil popping up often now. Why did you choose to include a herbal combination of extracts of Sarsaparilla, Calendula, Turmeric, Ashwagandha, St. John’s Wort. Licorice and Horsetail in your Beauty Oil?
All of these herbs used in the oil are what they call adaptogenic herbs…meaning they balance the skin. Most skin problems stem from the fact that the skin is unbalanced and then it has problems. These herbs will help varying degrees to different skin problems to balance and beautify it.
What special benefit does each extract have on the skin?
- Hypericum Perforatum (St. John’s Wort): St. John’s Wort contains hypericum oil, which is known to aid with capillary circulation and heal skin wounds and burns. The anti-inflammatory properties make it excellent for reducing swelling as well. In addition, the herb is a natural alternative to antidepressants because of its ability to increase serotonin levels.
- Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail): Horsetail is an herb known for its high level of silica, making it one of the best supplements for aiding with premature ageing. When applied topically, horsetail helps to heal and improve skin-thereby revitalizing your complexion. Because of its natural anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antioxidant properties, this herb is valued for its ability to reduce the appearance of wrinkles through the growth of connective tissue.
- Calendula Officinalis (Marigold): Known for its beautiful colouring, marigold is a great astringent and has both anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. Due to these qualities, marigold is typically used to treat minor skin wounds, burns, eczema and even acne. Through the promotion of healthy tissue growth, this flower reduces swelling and irritation, thus soothing the affected area.
- Hemidesmus Indicus (Country Sarsaparilla): This herb is excellent for treating skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. High levels of amino acids and vitamins A, B, C and D account for its ability to increase energy levels and eliminate endo-toxins from the blood. The antibacterial properties sarsaparilla contains is what makes this herb wonderful for alleviating skin infections.
- Curcuma Longa (Turmeric): Renowned for its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits, turmeric heals skin wounds, reduces swelling and fights free radicals that cause premature ageing. Applied topically, this herb can reduce the appearance of acne and scars by promoting skin elasticity. It also reduces skin pigmentation and evens out skin tone naturally.
- Withania Somnifara (Ashwagandha): Ashwagandha, a root plant, has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-stress properties that make it a wonderful supplement for treating acne, skin infections and swelling. Coveted for its ability to stabilize moods and improve immune function, this herb enhances mental clarity and promotes an overall sense of well-being.
- Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice): Because of the glycyrrhizin and flavonoid content, skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema and melasma can be treated with licorice root extract. When applied, licorice proves to ease inflamed skin and soothe the affected area. It also increases the levels of cortisol in the body, thus improving mood and reducing stress levels.
Tamanu and Buriti Oil are not so commonly used. Why did you choose to use them and what benefits do the have for the skin?
That is exactly why I used them….because they aren’t used. The reason behind that is price for one (most oil products use cheap oils) and sometimes the exotic no matter how good scares people. People love what is familiar. I don’t I want the best and Buriti Oil has the highest amount of Vitamin A of any oil. This results in a bright red oil and when this oil is mixed into the rest of the RMS Beauty Oil it gives a beautiful bright yellow appearance. Tamanu Oil is hands down another fabulous oil for the skin and they all work synergistically to help the skin with out chemicals, synthetics, GMO, Nano particles etc etc.
* signifies organic | ** signifies wildcrafted
- *Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis) – Extracted from the seed of the jojoba shrub, this multi-purpose oil is actually a wax ester. Since jojoba is nearly identical to human skin oil, it is easily absorbed and can provide excellent moisture throughout the day. Full of Vitamins E and B, antioxidants and zinc, jojoba can also soothe, heal and nourish your skin.
- *Rosehip Oil (Rosa moschata) – Loaded with retinol, Vitamin C and plenty of fatty acids, rosehip oil promotes skin cell growth thereby limiting the effects of aging. By doing so, this unique oil aids skin in becoming more smooth, firm and youthful by increasing the levels of collagen and elastin.
- *Tamanu Oil (Calophyllum inophyllum) – Derived from the nuts of this Malaysian plant, Tamanu oil is celebrated for its many healing properties. Because it contains numerous lipids, this oil proves useful in vastly decreasing the appearance of scars—including facial acne scars that tend to persist over time. Tamanu oil is also used as an anti-inflammatory agent, antiseptic, pain reliever and for softening our hair.
- **Buriti Oil (Mauritia flexuosa) – Originating in Brazil, this oil is pressed from the palm tree’s nuts to deliver one of the richest sources of beta-carotene known. In addition, Buriti oil is full of antioxidants, fatty acids and Vitamin A, giving it the ability to diminish fine lines and wrinkles. It also is known to protect against the sun’s free radicals, nourish and moisturize the skin to keep your face looking young and fresh.
- *Vanilla (Vanilla Plantifolia Extract) – This is a unique extract that uses no heat in the processing and leaves behind just the purest oil. There are no carriers, no solvent residues, no dilution, or other technical adjuncts. Just a pure aromatic vanilla that is both soothing and relaxing.
Have you used any special extraction process to obtain these oils or herbs to maintain the quality of them?
The organic herbs have been infused in organic jojoba oil. Please note…cheap oils such as safflower sunflower etc. are normally used for this process. We have used the finest quality oil for this process.
Is this blend suitable for all skin types? Yes…it works for any skin types.
Does it contain essential oils?
I am not a fan of essential oils in color cosmetics or for daily application to skin…..They are valuable for therapeutic purposes without a doubt but to apply numerous times a day to skin has its disadvantages for sure. Rms beauty oil has used the best organic ingredients and I wanted there to be no problem with essential oils effecting the herbal extracts or anyone’s skin in any way whatsoever. I also do not like the over powering smells from essential oils I prefer a natural earthy smell which I feel we have achieved with our oil.
Please note: rms beauty oil does not contain steam-distilled essential oils, as they have been known to adversely affect the potency of herbal extracts, and may cause rashes and skin irritation as well as long term skin dehydration.
Is it classed as raw?
It is close to raw as possible but some of the oils need to be processed a little in order to expel the oils. Great care has been taken to avoid chemicals and extreme heat. The herbals are raw.
Could you share your tips for use?
Usage: Apply three to four drops to clean, damp skin, as part of your morning and evening regime. Message into skin with gentle, circular motions.
- Morning: Follow with rms beauty “Un” Cover-up. This is the perfect oil for under rms beauty “un” cover-up. Apply minimally
- Evening: Apply as last step of skincare.
VIEW THE RMS BEAUTY OIL – HERE