Facialist, acupuncturist and TCM practitioner Laura Jones shares the benefits of Manuka Honey for the skin:
Over the past few years there has been a lot of interest in the unique properties of Manuka Honey for skin health. Brimming with skin care properties Manuka Honey is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-inflammatory and has also recently been shown to stimulate collagen production. To ensure these unique qualities are present in every batch, Manuka Honey undergoes testing to ascertain how active it is and is assigned a Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) number. The higher the number the more therapeutically active it is. For topical use on skin I recommend starting with UMF 15+.
I find one of the most popular techniques I use in my facials is a deep cleansing Manuka Honey treatment. This is a signature part of my facials here at Content and is one of the best ways to make use of all the Manuka Honey properties. Try it at home once a week to help maintain healthy skin between your monthly facials.
If you have never used Manuka Honey before, please patch test 48 hours before trying this technique. You can also use a Manuka Honey with a lower UMF if you find that UMF 15+ is too active for you.
Manuka Honey Cleansing Technique:
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Double cleanse your skin and exfoliate as normal.
- Place a small amount of the honey on clean fingertips. Start with a pea sized amount, you can always add to this, but if you apply too much this technique won’t work.
- Rub the honey between your fingers to warm it up and spread it over your face to form a thin layer. Wash and your dry hands.
- Using your fingers and palms, press all over your face, lifting away with a rolling motion to creating a suction effect. This gently lifts dirt from the pores and gently exfoliates the skin.
- Continue this action for a couple of minutes. You will know when to finish, as the honey will start to feel very sticky and tacky to touch.
- Rinse your hands and remove the honey with a clean, warm muslin cloth.
- Spritz your face with toner to close the pores and apply your serum, face and eye cream as normal. If you have a spot or two reapply a small amount of honey as a spot treatment overnight.
Clients of mine who integrate this technique into their weekly mini-facial at home, find it makes a radiant difference to their skin.
Image credit: Jonathan Gregson