If a romantic candle-lit dinner is on the cards this Valentine’s Day, why not opt for a something healthy? We promise that you can easily cook something gluten and dairy free, impressive and delicious in no time with the help of Nutritional Health Coach Madeleine Shaw who has shared her favourite ‘date night’ recipes with us. That way, you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your loved one OR ones!
Madeleine is a qualified Nutritional Health Coach from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition and also a keen chef, blogger and presenter. She firmly believes that healthy eating should be a way of life, not just a monthly ‘fad’ or ‘phase’ and she is passionate about making delicious tasting food with glorious nutritional value. Her recipe of choice is a Cauliflower (base) Pizza with Rocket and Sun-dried Tomato: “the perfect date night! Pizza without the guilt and the bloat.”
INGREDIENTS (make 2 pizzas):
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp of oregano
- 3 tbsp of quinoa flour (or buckwheat flour or ground almonds)
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- 1 white onion
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 100g rocket
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes
- Set the oven to 180ºC.
- Take your cauliflower, cut off the green stalks. Cut it up roughly and pop it into the food processor and pulse it until finely pulsed in consistency (smaller than rice, not quite flour).
- If you don’t have a food processor, chop it up with a knife. Be patient and prepared to get your kitchen messy!
- Once you have done this, pop the chopped cauliflower in a bowl with the eggs, a large pinch of salt, the oregano and gluten free flour.
- Mix all together to form a dough and split into two. Place one half on baking paper and flatten out with a spoon or spatula until you form a circle just under 1cm high. Repeat with other half.
- Melt 2 tsp of coconut oil on a medium heat and brush the oil over the pizza base.
- Place them both in the oven to cook for 15 minutes.
- Make the topping by cutting the white onion up very small, then sauté 1 tbsp of coconut oil with the rosemary on a medium heat with a pinch of sea salt for 5 minutes.
- Add in the can of tomatoes and cook for another 5-10 minutes. By this time, it will be time to take the bases out.
- Pour the tomato mix on top and cook for another 5 minutes until the edges are crisp (careful not to burn).
- Take them out and distribute the rocket and sun-dried tomatoes on evenly. Serve and enjoy!
NOTE: Obviously, you can add more toppings on if you like – chopped chicken, lamb, parma ham, fresh basil, olive oil or even nuts!
In you enjoyed this, take a look at Madeleine’s ‘Date Night’ dessert recipe for the perfect ‘healthy’ ending to your meal.