On our ongoing journey to a more sustainable lifestyle, a plastic-free bathroom may be one of the hardest rooms in the house to achieve with so many products coming and going all the time; from oral care, to haircare, skincare and beauty. Take a quick glance around your bathroom and you’re sure to see a lot of plastic, possibly more than any other room in your house.
Eco-perfection is hard to master, but implementing small changes in your daily rituals will add up to a more sustainable lifestyle. Plastic free items can swap into your bathroom not only for their positive environmental impact, but also to add more character to your space. Take your eco living up a notch with our curated selection of practical plastic free bathroom essentials.
Plastic Free Bathroom
PLASTIC FREE SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER
Many of us go through countless plastic bottles of shampoo and conditioner that get binned and replaced at the end of their life. Finding natural haircare that is also plastic free may seem like a daunting task, which is why we’re excited to have Beauty Kubes. In addition to being plastic free, the Beauty Kubes range of haircare also ticks the boxes of being natural, organic and vegan. When washing your hair, crumble a solid shampoo bar into the palm of your hand then add a little water to create a paste before smoothing it over wet hair. Follow-up with a Beauty Kubes Conditioning Hair Mask Cube for additional hair nourishment. With its ultra hydrating ingredients, the solid conditioner bar may only need to be used every 2-3 hair washes. Not only does it leave you with soft and shiny hair, but it also provides the equivalent of a 250-300ml bottle of conventional shampoo… An eco-friendly, effective and economical choice! Or switch to refillable haircare pouches from Rahua which remove the need for a new plastic bottle.
PLASTIC FREE DEODORANT
There are few deodorants that are both natural and plastic free. A natural deodorant would generally be free from aluminium, parabens and propylene glycol, and there are plenty of great natural deodorant options available that do the trick. However when it comes to plastic free deodorant, the challenge is a little greater. Lucky for us, Ben & Anna offer a plastic-free range of deodorants in a push-pop style cream stick. They are made from predominantly sustainable and/or organic ingredients and have a solid consistency without the need for synthetic stabilisers, thanks to shea butter and baking soda. The Ben & Anna Deos range is packaged in card that can be recycled alongside other paper and card at the end of their life.
OTHER TIPS & TRICKS
• Get rid of pesky plastic toothbrushes and instead opt for bamboo toothbrushes for the whole fam, like the Georganics Eco Beechwood Toothbrush or The Truthbrush, both which have a biodegradable bamboo handle and BPA-free bristles. Over 150 million plastic toothbrushes in the UK – and around 4.7 billion worldwide – are dumped in landfill each year1 so this simple bathroom swap is a no-brainer for a plastic free bathroom.
• Switch out plastic cotton buds for the reusable Last Object LastSwab, or paper cotton buds, like the Simply Gentle Cotton Buds with 100% organic cotton tips and 100% biodegradable paper stalks. SWap single use cotton pads for reusable versions from Last Object LastRounds or Tabitha Eve Reusable Make-Up Pads.
• Switch to refillable products. While this pay not elinimate plastic completely it will reduce you use. Try Rahua’s Refillable Shampoo and Conditioner range, Tata Harper’s Water-Lock Moisturiser and the range of Kjaer Weis Refillable Make-Up.
• For your natural beauty and skincare products, opt for products that are packaged in glass. It’s not a planet-perfect solution as usually pumps and caps will still be made from a mix of materials BUT at least the majority of the packaging can be recycled or reused. Shop our glass packaging category here.
• Invest in a Muhle Safety Razor and you’ll never have to buy a disposable razor again. When your blade becomes too blunt for effective use, simply replace it by unscrewing the cap.
Shop All Biodegradable Bathroom | Read More: Our Guide to Reusable Products for a Zero Waste Lifestyle