With winter fast approaching, we asked for our favourite “Funguys” to their bulletproof winter tonic recipe. Known as the ‘Finnish Winter Immunity Drink’, this stars the immunity-boosting superfood Chaga. We regularly stock up on Chaga to help us prevent the sniffles – so we were curious to know how we can incorporate it into an indulgent warming and delicious drink to maximise its immunity powers. Get the recipe below.
Finnish Winter Immunity Drink from Four Sigmatic
The guys at Four Sigmatic say: “This drink is fairly high in fat, in order to warm your body in the cold climate and to supply long-lasting energy throughout the day and night. It also contains two adaptogens, helping your body to fight against pathogens during the winter and avoid typical petty flus and colds. Cacao and vanilla smoothen the taste, whereas cayenne will serve as a natural vasodilator widening your blood vessels and also warming your body.”
0.6 l warm (spring) water
2 sachets of Four Sigmatic Instant Chaga
2 tbsp chopped cacao butter
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp Terranova’s 3-6-9 Oil Blend
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tbsp cacao powder
1 drop of the following tinctures: maca, rhodiola rosea or ashwagandha
4-8 drops of cayenne tincture
Pinch of quality salt
1 tsp of The Synergy Company Pure Radiance C
Optional: 1 tbsp wild/raw honey, 2 tsp colostrums
- Mix warm (preferably spring) water with Four Sigmatic Instant Chaga. Wait until lukewarm and put in a high-speed blender as the base of the drink.
- Add slightly chopped cacao butter and chia seeds. If you need to serve the full drink in less than 10 minutes, then use roughly 3 tbsp of pre-soaked chia seed gel. A larger jar of soaked chia will remain in the fridge awhile. Add Terranova’s 3-6-9 Oil Blend. Blend for 10 seconds to finalise the drink base before adding the dry ingredients.
- Add real vanilla, cacao powder and one full dropper of one of the following herbs in a tincture format depending on availability: maca, rhodiola rosea or ashwagandha. Next add cayenne tincture depending on taste, and good natural sea or mountain salt. Add the vitamin C source to again assist in the immunity boosting part of this drink to aid the digestion of Chaga. Add the optional additions if using.
- Tips: Optional parts would make this drink much more well-rounded but also slightly more expensive on the ingredient-side. Also — without the honey it’s a bit more bitter on the taste!
Winter Magic Drink from Lari Laurikkala
If you don’t have everything you need to whip this up, try this Winter Magic Drink from co-founder Lari Laurikkala, who shared it with us during our live chat on Facebook recently. Lari said: “I encourage people to use more thermogens such as chilli, black pepper, turmeric, cardamom and other strong flavours. These give warmth from the inside for one mind-blowing magic drink!”
2 packets of Mushroom Hot Cacao Mix
100 ml of coconut cream
100 ml of hot water
A pinch of black pepper
A pinch of pumpkin pie spice blend
- Blend until frothy and enjoy warm!
Want to receive our healthy superfoods recipes directly in your inbox? Sign up to our weekly newsletter here.
MORE WELLBEING TIPS | IMMUNE TONIC