We’re not ditching our classic nude and red natural lipsticks any time soon, but we’re certainly in favour of experimenting with new colours. Think about it: coupled with sunshine and a little tan, there’s no better time of the year for to rock a bright orange lipstick. The trick is finding the shade that works for your skin tone and colouring – but when you do, it’s a make-up game changer.
Orange lipstick goes by various guises; peach, coral and tangerine are all shades that fit under the ‘orange’ umbrella. For those that aren’t sure where to start, we’ve put together a skin tone colour-matching guide of #ContentApproved orange lipsticks and gathered some expert tips from our resident organic make-up artists on their favourite natural make-up hues.
But remember, when choosing a colour the rules are ultimately up to you – if you feel great wearing it, that’s all the colour-matching you need!
ORANGE LIPSTICK FOR FAIR & PORCELAIN
If you’re unsure about making the leap to bright orange, coral tones are the perfect transitional hue. Leaning on the peachy side, it looks pretty on all skin tones, but we think it’s especially lovely on our fair skinned Content Beauties
- Ilia Beauty Lip Conditioner in Shell Shock: A vibrant, sheer coral shade that can be worn for a subtle tint or layered for a more intense colour. It verges on a peachy pink and has a modern shiny finish.
- Vapour Elixir Plumping Lip Gloss in Honor: A clear, cool coral, ideal for everyday make-up. Keeps lips in check thanks to antioxidant-packed formula. Easy to apply and instantly plumping!
- Kjaer Weis Cream Blush in Sun Touched: A rich coral pigment which gives an instantly, naturally sun-kissed glow. It’s recommended for fair skin but also works on to medium-dark skin.
OLIVE & SUN-KISSED
Have fun – you will look great with any of the tangerine or universal hues! We suggest trying pretty much anything on the orange scale ranging from tangerine to true orange. Keep the rest of your make-up natural so the orange will really ‘pop’ against your complexion.
- Rms Beauty Paradise Lip2Cheek : A bright, wearable orange which looks fantastic on every skin type, but works especially well with a tan or olive skin.
- Ilia Beauty I Put A Spell On You Multi-Stick: Apply this bright tangerine multi-stick on warmer skin tones for a healthy, sun kissed look.
DARKER SKIN TONES
If you have a dark or warmer skin tone with peachy undertones, start here with our picks! Two corals with a hint or two of red, and don’t forget, the universal colours work for you too!
- Vapour Organic Beauty Siren Lipstick in Saucy: This warm, tinted tomato coral instantly brightens up the face. Protects lips from drying out thanks to its hydrating formula.
- Rms Beauty Wild With Desire Lipstick in Flight of Fancy: If you’re not confident with a red lipstick, try this instead! It’s a warm, toned down coral red.
True orange is a playful and universally flattering colour.
- Kjaer Weis Lip Gloss in Courage: Want colour without standing out too much? Try this tangerine hue that glides on. It’s a semi-sheer colour that is easy to wear with a chic shine.
- Kjaer Weis Lip Tint in Sweetness: This orange-coral shade (with a hint of pink) brightens all complexions and flatters every skin tone. It’s highly buildable: you can keep it light in the daytime and build it up for a night-time look.
Read more: Summer Sunless Tanning Guide