How many primers have you left aside because they didn’t hold your make-up? How many organic foundations have you discarded because too dark, too wet or too cakey? For most #NaturalBeauties, finding their perfect ‘base’ for skin is a challenge akin to finding the perfect-fitting pair of blue jeans: a little time-consuming and a bit confusing. Just as finding the ideal denim cut for your body shape and favourite wash can easily throw you off track, navigating your way through the foundation formulas, textures, finishes and colours of natural foundations available is no easy feat.
So, to help you on your quest, we’ve put together a starters guide for finding the perfect base to match your skin type. We would also advise call by the store for a ‘Foundation Match’ to find the best green beauty products for you. We highly recommend it if you’re making the switch to green beauty. Find out more information here.
These recommendations aren’t hard and fast rules, some people find different ones work for their skin but these are based on the majority of customer feedback we get instore. If you have a specific skin type you are trying to match let us know – we are happy to help!
Primers are an essential step pre-make up, as they smooth out uneven texture, helping to refine wrinkles, pores and fine lines. They also ensure that your make-up will stay put for longer and render application easier. These are our favourite organic, silicone-free primers:
- Vapour Stratus Instant Skin Perfector: Great for balancing combination and oily complexions. This velvety primer also acts as a tinted moisturiser, nourishing skin thanks to organic pumpkin and papaya complex. It’s also infused with anti-inflammatory properties of Frankincense, Tulsi and Lotus flowers. Wear for a matte, soft, silky finish.
- Vapour Stratus Luminus Instant Skin Perfector: If you have dry, sensitive or mature skin, try this organic BB cream – a 3–in–1 moisturiser, primer, and no-colour foundation – for an instantly ‘fresh’ and glowing complexion. The stick format makes application easier and blends into skin beautifully to create a glowy finish.
- Oskia Get Up and Glow: Love a luminous, dewy finish? You’ll love this refreshing two in one primer and serum which leaves skin glowing. It nourishes skin, improves cell health and helps protect against environmental damage, thanks to natural beauty-boosting nutrients.
- rms beauty Beauty Oil: We love this multi-purpose beauty oil on lack-lustre skin, both as a treatment in itself and as a primer. Apply before make up to give skin a hydration boost, as it’s formulated with antioxidant, vitamin-rich exotic oils including Jojoba, Rosehip and Tamanu.
Shopping natural foundations? Whether you’re after a dewy glow, or looking to keep shine at bay, there is one out there for you! To cut through the chase, find your match below.
Try for Oily & Combination Skin – Oily T-zone? Make-up sliding off after a few hours? Reduce your use of blotting papers by opting for a long-staying mattifying formula.
For light to medium coverage, we like these non-cakey, natural-looking organic foundations:
- Vapour Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation: It offers medium coverage in liquid form, leaving a gorgeous soft satin dry down texture. We love it for its natural-looking finish.
- W3LL PEOPLE Narcissist (picture 1): If you’re prone to spots, look no further: this creamy foundation also doubles up as a concealer and gives natural, weightless-looking coverage! Great for balancing skin tone and diminishing imperfections and perfect to apply on the go thanks to its handy stick format.
- Studio 78 We Revitalize: This light, liquid foundation has an innovative water-based formula, which sets on the skin to reveal a matte, translucent coverage with a healthy finish. Matte and translucent in the same sentence? Yes, it’s possible!
- Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Powder SPF20: A foundation as well as a *deep breath*…. powder, concealer and SPF20 sunscreen all in one! This mineral foundation looks like skin, but better, donning a sheer and semi-matte finish and minimising appearance of fine lines and pores.
If you are after a medium to full coverage try:
- Kjaer Weis Cream Foundation (picture 2 ‘Silken’ & picture 3 ‘Delicate’): Extremely buildable, it doubles up as a concealer and is best applied with fingers. It gives skin a semi-matte, flawless finish, while nourishing with ingredients including Coconut Oil and Jojoba Seed Oil. Set with powder to maximise longevity.
Try for Dry & Mature Skins If you’re prone to dry, lack-lustre skin that could benefit from extra hydration try one of these #ContentApproved natural foundations.
Light to Medium coverage:
- Studio 78 We Oxygenize Chameleon Foundation: Struggling to find your perfect colour match? This liquid formula adjusts to skin tone, giving a medium coverage and leaving a luminous glow on skin thanks to some mica. It’s also packed with hydrating and invigorating ingredients like Avocado and Apricot Oil. Love!
- Suki Skincare Tinted Active Moisturiser: If you like a light coverage, try this tinted moisturiser. Made with the moisturiser base from Suki and natural pigments, it has a beautifully sheer finish which enhances complexion, evens skin tone and minimises pores.
- W3ll People Altruist Mineral Foundation (picture 6): Like a powder formula but find them drying? This loose powder contains powdered Aloe Vera which once activated by the moisture on the skin (or a mist) gives a lovely hydrated glow. Is very buildable and really versatile – use on its own or mix with moisturisers and facial mists to create a light coverage. It doesn’t sit on skin, but looks natural and crease-free, evening out skin tones for radiant looking skin.
- Vapour Atmosphere Luminous Foundation (picture 5): We’re fans of this medium-light, creamy foundation in a stick, especially designed to nourish dry and sensitive skin with organic Pumpkin and Papaya complex, Organic Evening Primrose Oil, Lysine and silica. Great for disguising fine lines, wrinkles and pores for smooth, glowing skin.
- Absolution Le Creme du Teint: A make-up and skincare product in one, this tinted moisturiser is great for mature skins. Made with super hydrating ingredients including Aloe Vera and Tamanu Oil, it’s great for protecting it from sun and pollution.
Best for Sensitive Skin – If your skin is sensitive, try these soothing foundations:
- Vapour Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation It goes on as an oil and blends down as a semi-matte foundation . Perfect to soothe irritated skin as it’s packed with nti-inflammatory natural oils that help soothe and nourish, such as Frankinsence, Tulsi and Lotus Flowers. A real natural boost! The Vapour Atmosphere Luminous Foundation would also be suited to your skin type, so try and see which one works best for you.
- rms beauty ‘Un’ Cover-Up (picture 4): It contains raw minerals that rejuvenate the skin, and organic ingredients that moisturise and hydrate face. The Coconut Oil, Castor Seed oil, Beeswax, Cocoa butter and Jojoba Oil help nourish and regenerate skin.
For all skin types – It’s hard to go wrong with these…
- ILIA Sheer Vivid Tinted Moisturiser: For natural, glowing skin, we love this semi-matte formula with soothing botanicals and SPF20. Packed with hydrating agents and anti-oxidants, it seals in moisture and gives skin a smooth, full appearance.
- Jane Iredale Dream Tint SPF15: A ‘dream’ if you have dry skin! (and light enough to work on combination and oily skin) Made from algae extracts, this tinted moisturizer and SPF15 Sunscreen offers light coverage that smoothes lines and evens out skin tone. It hydrates and calms inflammation, to improve skin elasticity.
- rms beauty ‘Un’ Cover-Up: This cult product is a concealer and foundation in one, giving subtle coverage and glow. Skip your moisturiser if skin is combination or oily, as it’s loaded with raw ingredients that hydrate and nourish skin. Apply with fingers like you would a cream, blending into the skin to activate the oils and watch yourself glow!
GET THE GUIDE: SETTING POWDERS