We love a dewy, shimmery glow on skin – so the new beauty trend ‘strobing’ (aka the new contouring) is one which we can easy get behind at #ContentHQ. Strobing is simply the act of using only an illuminator to emphasize the high points on face, to create a glowy lit-from-within look. But how does one get it right? We asked green make-up artist Lilian Komor to share a few tips to achieve it using some of her organic beauty favourites.
Strobing is giving contouring a run for its money in a big way this fashion season, with designers opting for perfect and luminous skin. It works with both a more made-up look, or low-key mineral make-up. Here are the key steps:
1. Luminous make-up always starts with a good base – to get the skin glowing, a good exfoliator will do the trick! Try:
- Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask is suitable for all skin types
- Suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser is good for combination skin
- Pai Kukui & Jojoba Skin Brightening Exfoliator great for sensitive skin
2. Follow with a radiant moisturiser or serum to create a glowing base. We like:
- Therapi’s Rose Otto Ultra Radiance Cream containing rejuvenating propolis
- S5 Illuminate Serum to boost luminosity
- Lina Hanson Global Face Serum for instantly radiant skin
There are three different ways to use your everyday products to create this amazing strobe effect:
- Using an illuminating serum such as Oskias’ Get up and Glow which can be used under make-up and patted on top of the finished make-up to keep the skin looking fresh and dewy – a tip we picked up from green make-up artist Lou Dartford.
- Use a highlighter on the high points of the face such as cheek bones and round the outside of the eye, down the centre of the face and collar bones to tie the whole took together. Our favourite products for this are all lovely creams that melt naturally into the skin such as rms beauty Living Luminizer, Ilia Beauty’s Polka Dot and Moonbeams and Kjaer Weis Dazzling Cream Bronzer.
- Using mineral make-up instantly adds luminosity to the face and is great for drier, more mature skin types. Opt for the Vapour Luminous range starting with the Vapour Stratus Instant Skin Perfector followed by the Vapour Atmosphere Luminous Foundation. Conceal with the Illuminating Illusionist Concealer and finish with an extra highlight, using their small but powerful Trick Stick!
For those who still want radiate but not took too ‘shiny’ Studio 78 is another amazing range with products such as their We Revitalize Bi-phased Water Foundation which will bring out your natural skin radiance with a matte, translucent coverage.
For naturally bronzed green beauties there are a range of highlighters with a gorgeous golden undertone that will not to look too ‘white’ on the skin. Studio 78 We Take Some Fresh Air Primer and Vapour Luminous Instant Skin Perfector in 903 are great skin preps with Vapour Trick Stick in ‘Dazzle’ and Ilia Cosmic Dancer holding up in the golden highlight front.
Not forgetting the rest of the body Prtty Peaushun are amazing all-over highlighters that range from light to deep dark to cover all skin tones. You can use these to cover imperfections as well as giving the whole body a strobe effect. Due to the extra natural ingredients they can even be used on the face. So go on, strobe yourself!
Want more beauty tips from our green make-up artists? Sign up to our newsletter here.