Is there such a thing as too much avocado? Judging by our obsession for this tasty, creamy fruit as a nation (the UK avocado market was reportedly worth a whopping £51m in 2012) we think not!
Admit it, you’ve mastered the art of the ‘ripe and ready’ hunt and tried every avo recipe from chocolate mousse to, ice cream and cheesecake. And what’s not to love; avocados are incredibly rich in mono-saturated fatty acids, as well as vitamin E, B vitamins, fibre and potassium (triple a banana’s worth). Studies have even shown that the oleic acid and linoleic acid in avocados may help lower cholesterol levels.
But the love of the avocado doesn’t stop there. It has rapidly risen through the ranks amongst natural beauty lovers too, establishing itself as the ‘skinfood’ par excellence. The essential fatty acids (oleic acid, omega 6 and omega 3) in it help plump and smooth out the skin and regulate skin function, while the vitamin E helps protect our skin cells from free radical damage.
Sure, avocados have been used to nourish skin and as part of DIY face masks for a while now, but they are increasingly being bottled up and encapsulated in some of our favourite natural beauty formulations too. Here are the ones you need in your beauty cabinet:
Our favourite Products:
- John Masters Avocado & Lavender Intensive Conditioner: This is one of our absolute musts for shiny locks, as the richness of the avocado oil really helps soften and condition hair. The addition of lavender gives it a beautiful and relaxing scent, as well as helping against hair loss and eczema.
- Pai Avocado and Jojoba Day Cream: This nourishing cream softens and hydrates skin and gives skin a vitamin boost packed with vitamins A, D and E. Ideal for dry to normal and sensitive skins.
- May Lindstrom The Youth Dew: This clever oil combines avocado oil as one if it’s 20 regenerating botanical oils. In true May Lindstrom beauty gourmand style this product is made from bio-dynamic, wild crafted and organic ingredients. These beautiful concoctions are perfect for those that like their skincare to be skin food.
- Ambre Face Soap Avocado and Calendula: We love a good hand made soap! This one is cold pressed and luxurious to use. The avocado butter renders it moisturising, conditioning and nourishing for the skin. Looks and feel gorgeous, without being drying as many soaps are.
- Ambre Fifteen Fresh Oils Body Oil: We love this body moisturiser to get our fill of vitamins and fatty acids which are blended from pure cold pressed nut, fruit and seed oils including Avocado, Sweet Almond, Sunflower and Apricot Kernel. As it’s concentrated, a little goes a long way! Great for dry skin.
- Laidbare Butter Me Up: A thick and creamy body butter, it contains avocado oil, cocoa butter and rosehip oil for a triple hydrating action. Brilliant for dry to delicate skin and to apply on rough patches that need a bit of extra help.