Here at CONTENT, we’re big fans of the notion of skinfood and firm believers that some of the ingredients that are most beneficial for our skin can easily be found sitting at arm’s reach in your kitchen pantry. That’s why we sometimes like to take matters into our own hands and opt for the DIY at home natural beauty remedy using the ingredients in their raw state to target skincare problems.
Turmeric is one of those skinfoods we just can’t do without – and neither should you! Easily accessible, it’s just as good on your plate as it is on your skin when applied topically. It’s one of our beauty pantry favourites and our spice of choice is the beautiful single origin Sri Lankan Wunder Workshop Organic Turmeric Powder.
If your skin is feeling congested and fussy – a common problem when the weather starts to change – and could do with a little help, try the quick and effective #CONTENTapproved DIY mask recipe below. It acts as a moisturiser and exfoliator at once, so it helps to ‘clear’ skin, reduce redness and brighten. Get set, ready — glow!
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon of Manuka Honey*
1 teaspoon of goats milk yoghurt
Optional: 1 tbsp of lemon juice**
- Put turmeric into a little bowl.
- Add honey.
- Add yoghurt and mix into a paste. You can adjust the amount of yoghurt to make the paste more or less thick but make sure it’s firm enough to stick to your face.
- Remove all makeup with your favourite makeup remover and cleanse as usual.
- If your hair is long, tie it back.
- Wear a top you are not too attached to, in case it gets stained!
- Apply the mask evenly all over your face. Make sure you cover your under-eye area, as turmeric’s anti-inflammatory properties help reduce the dark circles, which form as a result of vasoconstriction (narrowing of the vessels).
- Leave the mask on for 20 minutes or until dried and then wash off with cool water, using hands or an organic cotton muslin cloth – be warned it will stain. Pat your face gently with a towel to dry.
- Any leftover mask? Pop it in the fridge and reuse it within the next couple of days.
CONTENT Natural Beauty Tips
Want a stronger exfoliating action? Add the Dr Alkaitis Organic Enzyme Exfoliating Mask made from fruit-derived exfoliating enzymes and strawberry and blueberry extracts.
Can’t be bothered making your own mask from scratch? Just add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to the May Lindstrom Honey Mud Cleansing Silk, which has a (yummy) base of raw honey and will leave your skin glowing.
Dry Skin? Add a few drops of your favourite natural facial oil to the mix to nourish the skin.