Getting enough sleep is one of the most important ingredients for your health and happiness. A good night’s sleep will give your body a chance to repair and keep your mood in check.
The duration and quality of sleep will have a direct effect on our energy levels and how well you function during the day. It is best to try aim for 8 to 9 hours of sleep a night.
Good quality sleep starts before 12pm, and although we should be in rhythm with the seasons – going to bed when the sun goes down and waking up with sunrise, this can be near impossible when working and living as we do. Try putting these simple tips in place and see if a better nights sleep makes for a better day.
- TIME — Try to wake and go to bed at the same time everyday.
- ROUTINE — Set a bedtime routine to cue yourself into winding down. Try turning off all technology an hour before you go to bed. Computers, phone, even the TV. Take a bath or read to start the unwinding process.
- EAT RIGHT — Eat lighter for your evening meal and try to eat at least 2 hours prior to going to sleep – overeating and eating late can interrupt sleep as the body tries to digest your meal.
GET TO SLEEP
- Try to make your room as dark as possible. Turn off all lights and try removing all electrical equipment.
- Try meditation, deep breathing and gentle stretching or yoga. All relaxation techniques that can help soothe you into a deep sleep.
- Reduce alcohol and caffeine. Avoid caffeinated drinks (including green tea) after 4pm.
- Eat a small snack which includes protein before bed. A high-protein snack may provide L-tryptophan, an amino acid needed to produce melatonin. Try a couple of oat cakes and raw almond butter.
- Avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates before bed. These affect hormone levels, which in turn may affect your sleep cycle.
- If you wake-up, get up. The body works in sleep cycles throughout the night. You may have missed your window of opportunity to go to sleep. Read, meditate or do some yoga until you feel sleepy again. Don’t turn on the TV or your computer — this will only stimulate the brain to stay awake.
- Four Sigmatic Instant Reishi – Relax and Sleep Deeper – This is perfect for drinking right before bed. Mix it with hot water to make a slightly sweet, tea-like drink. With all ingredients naturally farmed or wildcrafted, this anti-stress antidote reduces stress and improves sleep quality and blood circulation.
- Four Sigmatic Hot Cacao Mix with Reishi — Drink this warming beverage before bed to help you relax and drift off into a deep, peaceful sleep at the end of a busy day. Melt away stress with the help of astragalus, cinnamon and cardamom. Plus its dark chocolate flavour makes the perfect night cap.
- Tata Harper Bedtime Treatment — This essential oil blend contains mandarin, which has a slightly hypnotic quality, helping switch off an overactive mind and bringing deep sleep; clary sage which is is deeply relaxing, calming the mind and facilitating dreams, and of course lavender – the sedative, relaxing effects of lavender have been used for hundreds of years to help bring restful sleep. The familiar fragrance of lavender is soothing, balancing and calming.
- Lotus Wei Quiet Mind Energy Mist — Perfect for those that have sleep trouble due to a busy mind. Spritz this around your head, room and on your pillow to relax your body and quiet your mind. This energy spray is especially good for shifting neck and shoulder tension for a sound night’s sleep.