Who doesn’t love ice cream on a hot summer day? We’re loving the new ice creams which have been popping up of late: from goat milk, to rice, coconut, cashew and almond milk bases and these alternatives taste just as good! One of these has instantly caught our eyes (and taste buds), is Nana Nice Cream: a non-dairy, banana based, natural alternative to ice cream with no refined sugar or weird additives – just food! The base is a unique blend of bananas and avocados (a welcome change from the usual coconut replacement to dairy) which means that it’s the kind of #skinfood we can even enjoy for breakfast. Great as an afternoon pick-me-up and available in three flavours: vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. We reached out to its founder Margie Broadhead and asked her to share one of her favourite recipes.
If you fancy sampling the delicious Nana Nice Cream yourself, come instore for our exclusive tasting on Saturday the 29th of August! See more information here. Now, over to Margie…
To me, these waffles are the epitome of Summer: fresh juicy strawberries with delicious Strawberry Nana Nice Cream, crushed meringue and fresh mint. What’s not to love?
These waffles are wonderfully easy to make and deliciously light. They go really well with Margie’s Strawberry Nana Nice Cream – simply add a scattering of fresh strawberries and some crushed meringue and you’ve got yourself heaven on a plate! It’s perfect as a dessert, but also a wonderful breakfast or brunch. If someone you love has a birthday coming up, what could make a more beautiful birthday breakfast? Hope you enjoy it!
Ingredients (Makes 6 waffles)
- 1 ½ cups oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- drop of vanilla
- ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
- Strawberry Nana Nice Cream
- Mint sprigs
- One meringue
- Tip the oats into a food processor and blitz until it resembles flour. You’ve just made oat flour. Hurrah!
- Now tip the oat flour into a bowl and add the salt, and baking powder. Give it a good stir.
- Add the eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla and the melted coconut oil. Stir well.
- If your coconut oil seizes when you add it to the dry ingredients, don’t panic! Just pop the whole mixture into the microwave for a few seconds and alow it to melt again.
- Allow the whole mixture to sit for 10 minutes or so. This is around the same time it will take for your waffle maker to heat up, so hopefully not to much of a problem. Allowing it to rest means that the oat flour has time to soak up some of the liquid.
- When ready, cook the waffles in the hot waffle iron. I like to just add a dollop to the middle of the iron so that they come out in uneven but lovely looking circular waffles. They should only take a minute or 2.
- When cooked, allow to rest on a wire rack until you’ve used all the mixture.
- Serve the waffles with scoops of strawberry Nana Nice Cream, sprigs of mint and then crush a meringue until it scatters satisfyingly over the top. Enjoy!
To sample Nana Nice Cream, don’t miss our instore tasting on August 29th! It’s the perfect guilt-free treat to accompany a spot of organic beauty shopping. Click here for more info.
Want more clean-eating recipes from our favourite healthy foodies every month? Sign up to our newsletter here.