Spring is widely regarded as the perfect time of the year to cleanse, energise and re-focus. So, we asked yoga teacher Michaela Olexova to show us an energising, chakra-activating yoga routine that can help us make the best of this fruitful time and help put our plans into action. The key? Self-confidence. Here, she helps us find the ‘warrior within’ with a simple Warrior I Chakra Meditation.
We wish, imagine, want, dream and desire, yet we are unsure if we truly deserve to live a life of our dreams. “I am too busy now”, “I am not sure what would my parents and/or partner say”, “I don’t have enough confidence” or “I am just not ready” are the most common excuses you might hear your monkey mind whispering to you.
But when do you think you will be ready? I bet when you are 70 years old you would still doubt if you have enough knowledge, experience, money and confidence to take the leap of faith and (finally) design a life you really want. But would you have the luxury of time and energy then? I don’t know about you, but regretting that I didn’t take the first step and at least tried to get the taste of my desired life and enjoy the sense of fulfillment that comes with it seems far too scarier to me.
Being hesitant to unleash our inner powers and embrace all changes happens to all of us as a direct result of our inner fears and shame. We are all scared of the unknown and we all have self-doubts, but it’s the way we manage our fears that sets us all apart – you can become either the Warrior or the Worrier for the rest of your life.
It’s always NOW, today and this minute when it’s the right time to take your life into your own hands and trust yourself that you are ready! If you decide to be the Worrier, you are giving in to the life of regrets, blame, victimization and punishment and those feelings towards yourself and others will only grow stronger as you move further away from the life you desire.
“No human being can stand the perpetually numbing experience of his own powerlessness.” ~ Rollo May
If you decide to ignite your Warrior spirit instead, you will make a plan or a map. You channel your energy and passion, you move with a clear vision and focus, and determine your destiny with pride and grace.
“The human will is intensity of desire raised to the level of action.” ~ John Bradshaw
What path do you want to choose? Myself, I wish to join the Warriors tribe. Setting my direction and navigating my inner compass towards the life I want and desire, one small step at the time. Replacing my fears with faith, guilt with pride, shame with respect, hate with love, lies with truth, illusion with clarity, attachment with freedom and equally celebrating the lost battles as much as all the victories!
To help you tune in with yourself, use this simple yet powerful Warrior I Chakra Meditation to gain strength and confidence while raising your awareness to issues or obstacles you wish to remove. At the same time, bring more of positive intentions and gratitude into your life to start this transformational process.
WARRIOR I CHAKRA MEDITATION TO GAIN STRENGTH & CONFIDENCE
- Inhale stand in Mountain Pose (Tadanasana) and step or jump four feet apart raising both arms parallel to the floor as you exhale.
- Inhale and raise both arms towards the sky, palms facing each other.
- Exhale and rotate your right foot out 90 degrees, turning your left foot in 35 degrees while aligning both of your heels.
- Inhale and rotate your hips and your upper torso to the right as you exhale. Make sure your hips and front of your pelvis are as flat as possible facing the front of your mat.
- Inhale and reach actively through your arms and fingers.
- Exhale and bend your right knee to a 90 degree angle so your knee is stacked above the ankle.
- Keep your left leg completely stretched and press on the outer edge of your left foot.
- Maintain the Warrior I aka “Virabhadrasana I” pose and take seven breaths as described below directing the inhale from your feet upwards to each energy centre (chakra), then directing the exhale back from each chakra downwards towards your feet.
- Repeat the whole sequence together with breathing on the other side.
- You can also do the mindful breathing exercise sitting in a cross-legged position or lying down if you feel like it.
The warrior 1 pose is linked to the Muladhara, or Root Chakra, and helps to strengthen it. See the main header image above and read the descriptions below to see an overview of the seven chakras.
- ROOT CHAKRA / MULADHARA – Inhale: Faith Exhale: Fear
- SACRAL CHAKRA / SVADHISTHANA – Inhale: Pride Exhale: Guilt
- SOLAR PLEXUS / MANIPURA – Inhale: Respect Exhale: Shame
- HEART CHAKRA / ANAHATA – Inhale: Love Exhale: Hate
- THROAT CHAKRA / VISSUDHA – Inhale: Truth Exhale: Lies
- THIRD EYE CHAKRA / AJNA – Inhale: Clarity Exhale: Illusion
- CROWN CHAKRA / SAHASRARA – Inhale: Freedom Exhale: Attachment
Michaela Olexova is a spiritual life & yoga teacher helping you to re-connect with your true nature so you can stress less & dream more. #GetYourOMBack at www.michaelaolexova.com