Dry skin body brushing is a great way to assist the body in the removal of unwanted toxins during a cleanse program. It works by gently stimulating the lymphatic system, drawing out waste from the skin and increasing blood circulation. All this promotes a healthy, radiant glow. It’s also a great aid to banish dehydrated and flaky skin if practised regularly.
But the list of benefits doesn’t end there. It can also help to stimulate the sweat glands, increase skin cell renewal, assist digestion, strengthen the immune system and improve overall health of the liver and kidney function. The skin is the body’s largest organ so a little body brushing may just help revive your body from top to toe!
- If you are looking to buy a body brush in order to help draw out toxins, try opting for a brush with natural bristles, not synthetic. Choose from our selection of new FSC certified natural body brushes here.
- For best results, body brush for five to ten minutes everyday before showering
- Skin brushing opens up the pores. Try to use a natural or organic body wash in order to avoid synthetic chemicals.
The Dry Body Brushing Process
- • Dry body brushing is best done before showering. Put aside an extra 5-10 minutes to fully brush you entire body, concentrating on your legs, thighs and bottom!
- • Always start on the right side of the body. Then, switch to the left side
- • Use light, gentle, long strokes. Always brush towards the heart – see the diagram below for specific directions.
- • Start from your feet, then up your legs, behind your knees, thighs, bottom, gently on your stomach using sweeping movements towards the heart. Finish with your hands, arms and back.
- • Follow with a hot shower in order to open up the pores further, stimulate sweat glands and draw out further toxins.
- • Before finishing showering, try alternating hot and cold to further stimulate blood flow and rev up your circulation.
- • After showering and whilst your body is slightly damp, choose to rub in a organic body oil or organic body lotion to further promote softness, improve skin texture and cell renewal. It is important to nourish and hydrate the skin with natural products in order to not clog the skin’s pores
Avoid areas of broken skin or rashes. Brush with gentle, sweeping strokes. If you notice reddening of the skin, you are brushing too hard!